Nutrition for Boxers
The thing about boxers is that they need a particular kind of diet to keep active and healthy. And even though they need a specific diet, it needs to be regimented or else they end up becoming fat and therefore lethargic and prone to dog illnesses. Another pointer to keep in mind is to never experiment with the kind of food you’re feeding them. It takes a toll on the dog’s health and his digestive system suffers. So what qualifies as some of the best food for boxers?
Many owners prefer to feed their boxers the BARF (Biologically Appropriate Raw Food) diet other than the processed and commercially available dog food. The BARF diet consists of dog food recipes that mainly feeds them with bones and other raw foods along with the other necessary supplements. These ingredients will be as follows:
- Raw meat
- Dairy products
- Muscle meats
And certain health supplements that cannot be derived through food.
The advantage of this kind of food is that you can control what you feed them and make sure that only the best food is provided. The reason why this becomes important is that boxers are one of those dog breeds that are prone to allergies and other health problems which can be avoided if you know what you’re feeding them and are controlling the quantity as well.
Homemade Dog Food for Boxers
Recipe # 1
- Ground beef (5 pound)
- Chicken livers cut into small bites (6 oz)
- Eggs (6)
- Oats (2 cups)
- Plain pumpkin (1 large can)
- Yogurt (1 cup)
- Green beans (2 cans)
- Use a huge pot and put in yogurt, pumpkin, green beans, eggs, chicken liver and eggs.
- Now mix the oats in and stir well.
- Mix the paste with the ground beef and freeze.
- Every time you need to feed your dog, just thaw this mixture put and you’re done.
- You can make a lot of things with this dish as well. For example, make it into a stew or bake it.
- It would do your boxer good if you add some form of calcium supplements to the mixture.
- The good thing is that you can add variety to the veggies and oats and change the ingredients as and when.
Recipe # 2
- Turkey or any other meat (protein)
- Starch (potatoes, rice, pasta)
Just make sure that the ration of meat (protein) to starch to vegetables should be 1:1:1.
- Cook the turkeys in plain water without adding any spices or the like.
- Once the meat is tender, separate it from the bones and measure out in cups for a correct estimate of what you need.
- Next cook any starch. You could use the same water that you used to cook the turkey.
- Mix these two ingredients and add steamed vegetables (carrots are a great choice) to the same.
- Mix these well, store in bags and freeze.
- Then just get one bag out every time you want to feed it.
So then, now that you know what some of the perfect dog food for boxers is, you can make sure that they get only the best and the most nutritious foods. Unfortunately, this article cannot provide you with very many recipes, but there are plenty of sites that will. So get going and add to the list for some more dog treats.